Lance West presided over his first school board
meeting as Superintendent of Collinsville Schools Monday July 7th, 2014.
He presented a bleak financial forecast for the coming years but also
presented an agressive budget plan to meet that need -->.
West described it as the "best bad plan" available.
1902 West Maple
Collinsville, OK 74021
All persons interested in attending the Regular School Board Meeting
for Collinsville Public Schools, Independent District I-6, should make
plans to attend the meeting at the following date, time and place to
Date: July 7,
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Place: Education Service Center, 1902 West Maple, Collinsville, OK
items will appear on the agenda at the above scheduled meeting to
NOTE: The Board of Education may discuss, vote to approve, vote to
disapprove, vote to table or decide not to vote on any item on this
1) Call to Order and Roll Call of Members.
2) Record of Members Present and Absent. --
All Present: Stout, Ostrander, Johnson, Morrison, & Reed
3) Requests to Address the Board. -- None
4) Reading of Minutes June 9, 2013 Regular Meeting and June
23, 2014 Special Board Meeting -- Approved
5) Approval of Purchase Orders and Payment of Purchase Orders
FY2014 General and Building Funds and FY 2013 General and Building
Fund Reserves and All District Funds - Approval of Budgets, Reports,
Allocations and Investments. -- Approved
6) Discussion and Vote to Approve Activity Fund Fundraisers.
-- Approved (including softball alumni game)
7) Presentation by Chad Brewer of Brewer Construction on the Updates
of the Building Projects. -- Brewer provided
status on the revised high school project (with bid requests for demolition
and site work already out) and pre-bid meeting set for July 15th (at
HS) and bids due back by July 24th. Brewer also reported the new upper
elementary project was on schedule and doing well. Some steel is up
for the gym and all the steel is up for the classroom wing. Only one
concrete pour remains (for the commons) and that is expected in about
a week after the plumbers finish. Grading work also continues on the
new bus loop, drainage areas, and parking lot. Roofing material is
expected this week and roofing should start on the classroom wing
next week. All should be complete about a month ahead of the August
2015 start of school to allow move in and teacher prep before classes
begin for 2015-16.
8) Presentation by Mike Stacy of The Stacy Group on the Updates of
the Building Projects
-- Stacy provided additional details on cafeteria
seating potentials with and without the alternative bid. The base
bid has the new CHS commons at ~5100 square feet which would support
seating 385-400 students for a single
lunch period. The alternative bid would add an additional 1100 square
feet and bring the seating potential to ~450 students. Those numbers
should support the plan to reduce from 3 to 2 lunch periods at the
high school. Revised HS bids (for demo & site work only) have
gone out ... rest of HS bid will follow in about a month.
9) Discussion and Vote to Join or Not Join CCOSA Legal and Financial
-- Approved (very cost effective legal and
financial advice for the school district) in addition to the formal
legal support which is paid at an hourly rate.)
10) Discussion and Vote to Approve Group Life Insurance for Collinsville
Public School Emplyees. -- Approved, The school
district will pay (~$15,220 total yearly) for a $25K life insurance
policy for each of ~326 employees. The employees (& spouses &
dependents) may also purchase additional coverage (life and AD&D)
at a reduced (group) rate. The coverage will be provided with no medical
exam or questions during an open enrollment period in August. The
quote from Mutual of Omaha was accepted with the local service being
provided by AmeriBank Group (a subsidiary of American Bank of Oklahoma).
11) Discussion and Vote to Approve Julie Crutchfield as Authorized
Official and Certified Authority for All Local, State and Federal
Funds for FY2015. -- Approved
12) Discussion and Vote to Approve Changes to the District Board of
Education Policy Book. -- Approved ... existing
tobacco free policy revised to prohibit E-Cigs also.
13) Discussion and Vote to Approve Child Nutrition Cafeteria Price
Changes. -- Approved, a 25 cent increase in
breakfast and lunch prices which will bring the price to about a break-even
point with increased food supply prices. New
CNP Director Adrea Reser will present details of new federal school
menu requirements at the August school board meet.
14) Discussion and Vote to Approve Tulsa Technology Student Transportation
Contract for 2014-2015SY. -- Approved ... same
as last year (~$202K which is $2.20 per mile)
15) Discussion and Vote to Approve Fall Sports Head Coaches.
-- Approved ... (Same as last year: Football-Kevin Jones, Volleyball-Art
Smalygo, Softball-Mike Henry, Cross Country Girls-Arlin Stacy, &
Cross Country Boys-Eric Dutton)
16) Presentation and Discussion of Tentative 2014-2015 District Budget.
-- Lance West presented the "best bad
plan" to keep school spending within the available unpredictible
revenue sources (see 2 photos above) with the "least impact on
Some key points in that budget discussion with the school board:
* Some salary adjustments
* Didn't fill 9 spots from last year (including the assistant superintendent's
* Student growth has leveled off after big increases for several years.
* Not cutting employees (might be necessary next year if things don't
* Health care cost increases
* Still below 2009 state school revenue levels
* Yearly carryover is like "savings account" ... with very
little of budget predictible in advance
* Ad valorum taxes provide bulk of revenue ... followed by state and
* Sample Planned Cuts:
-- step raises
-- personal day payments
-- paid planning periods
-- district cell phones
17) Discussion and Possible Board Action on Bids and Purchases:
--a) Janitorial Services for FY2014 -- Approved
--b) Maintenance Supplies for FY4013 -- Tabled
to next board
18) Resignations: -- Accepted
--a) Matt Davison, HS Teacher
--b) Jodi Gage, HS Special Ed
--c) Pam Bailey, HS Special Ed
--d) Alyssa Fields- Indian Aid
19) Hiring of Personnel: -- Approved
--a) Katie Needham, MS Teacher -- from Oktaha,
via BA & Hilldale ,.. Math & Coach
--b) Sara Carroll, Herald Teacher -- at Oologah
(3rd grade) last year. Will teach 5th grade here.
20) Directors Report (3)
* Julie Crutchfield (Finance & Special Ed
Director) reported on reorganization of the business office personnel.
Time cards eliminated by new online system. Job applications are now
online (except substitute teachers).
* Cara Jones (Director of Teacher & Student Services) reported
on letters sent to parents and recent test scores. Recent writing
scores were "awful" statewide and suspected to be flawed
by most school districts but not acknowledged by the state department
* Jim Riley (Director of Student Activities). Jim's role has expanded
from athletics to include all OSSAA covered activities including band,
chorus, and academic team. Those activities will also now be included
in the (soon to be updated) drug testing policy.
21) Superintendents Report. -- In his first report as Superintendent,
Lance West reported on these topics (including the budget discussion
above in item 16):
* OSSBA Conference in August
* Special School Board meeting (for Bonds) set for Tuesday July 29th
(5:30 or 6pm?)
22) New Business: (if any, of an emergency nature or that was not
known at the time the agenda was posted).
* Two New Hires -- Approved
-- Hillary Moore (HS Social Studies and Coach)
... a 2006 CHS grad
... was teaching at Luther
-- Samantha Taylor (Chorus Director) ... Bartlesville most recently
... after Kentucky
23) Announcements. -- Coach Mark
Campbell passed away June 30, 2014 (Girls Basketball Head Coach)
This notice being
given and displayed by the authority of the School Board of Independent
District, I-6, acting by and through the undersigned.
Lance West , Superintendent of Schools
Posted this 3rd
day of July, 2014 at 12:00 p.m. on the door of the Education Service
Center at 1902 West Maple, Collinsville, OK 74021.
Wright comments in purple