Wright comments in purple:
1-2) 4 present: Stout, Ostrander, Johnson and Oder.
3) no request to address board
4) minutes approved
Tim Reed was appointed and sworn in as the new school board member
to fill the seat #1 spot vacated by Donna Sears until the next election
cycle. (Previous Coverage)
7) N/A as all members present
8) Approved. The school bond financial information presented (by
Andy Davis) was similar to that presented at the previous meeting.
He discussed the existing (already approved) bond obligations in
relation to the potential $20 million bond vote that the board will
put to the local voters at an Oct. 8, 2013 school bond election.
A slight (property) tax increase will be required to raise the construction
funds for the projects anticipated. The millage rate would increase
by 6.66 mills (from ~23 mills to ~29 mills). Among the projects
being considered are: improvements and expansion at the high school,
a new elementary (4-5th grade) near Herald/ECC. Moving 1st-2nd graders
from Wilson to join rest of elementary grades and moving 6th grade
from MS to Wilson building. And more ... additional
detail and conceptual drawings. --
9) Purchases and payments approved
10) 3 fundraisers approved (2 for Wilson Elem. and a band car wash)
Director Cara Jones discussed the following testing topics:
* Only slight impact here in Collinsville during the 2 worst days
of statewide testing delays caused by the testing vendor ... due
to only minimal testing scheduled here during those two days. Lots
of other testing occured before and after those days.
* 3rd-8th grade math and reading scores are now available from that
state testing. Math was good (including Toni Slagle's class with
100% in Algebra II as an impressive example). Reading scores show
need for improvement. Investigation into scores revealed that some
data was incorrect (the concurrent TCC enrolled kids were somehow
not counted as an example) may lead to some slight modification
to final results. The high school results are expected soon.
* NWA Assessment -- students took tests 3 times this year (first
year at Collinsville). Provides excellent evaluation tool for teachers
and administrators as progress is tracked for years for each student.
* State A-F reports have been studied for making improvements
* Common Core (by 2014) -- teachers working hard... lots of changes
to be ready
* Curriculum budgets ... allocating resources where most needed
* CHS math teacher (Toni Slagle) has been chosen to represent Collinsville
on a State Department of Education leadership group.
12) Approved (~$800) for excellent yearly "bargain" legal
support (especially in the special education laws area)
14) Tabled --- administrators hope to discuss further cost saving
options with principals and directors before next board meet. Trying
to trim $800K in anticipation of further cuts in state aid. Already
have 8 teacher resignations spots that will not be filled.
15) Approved -- a new vision screening policy
(4.42) for K,1st or 3rd grade enrollment.
16) Breakfast prices were upped 25 cents to meet CNP requirements.
Lunch prices were raised previously.
Approved technology plan. Thanks to Larry Meece helping the district
"get more bang for the buck" ... technology is less that
1% of the district budget here ... compared to many other school
districts and businesses with much higher percentages.
18) Approved the same fall head coaches as last year.
19) Tabled the milk and maintenance services bid actions. Approved
the Janitorial Services bid by "Final Touch" which was
$48K less than incumbant Multi-Clean's $230K..
20-24) Executive session from ~8:42 to 9:56 ... no action taken
25) Approved a new salary schedule for secretaries and receptionists
(~13 employes with total increase of ~$38K)
26) Approved hiring of Holly Southern, Crystal Glenn and Erica Davis.
27-28) Lance West and Terry Due indicated they had covered their
topics in previous discussions and gave no additional reports
29) no announcements except All-State games the last week of July
and first week of August
30) Adjourmed ~10:04pm