2013 Sampler -- from www.cvilleok.com
questions/comments to email@example.com).
Ted Wright -- last update 12/28/2013
Copyright 2013 --
photos for related story ...
I've been considering
my choice for 2013's top stories for several weeks now. Rather than
narrowing it down to just one or two stories as I typically do, I have
selected a singular tragic moment and a combined year long effort by
hundereds of CHS student athletes as my co-top stories.
The April 2013 crash
of a small plane within a stone's throw of downtown Collinsville homes
and businesses was a tragedy with the loss of two lives, but the larger
story to me was the near miss of a potentially larger tragedy if the
accompanying fireball had struck an occupied structure rather than in
a narrow empty patch of ground.
As CHS Athletic
Director Jim Riley always says "It's Good To Be a Cardinal".
I can't recall a year when the Cardinal success has been spread across
so many sports and activities.
* The CHS wrestlers added their 3rd set of state titles as the
top team in 5A.
* The CHS cross country ladies finished as the 3rd place
5A team. (They have finished in the top 10 every year since the program
started in 2007)
* The CHS football team earned their way to the state semi-finals
(first in 20 years) and a top 4 finish with heart-stopping finishes
week after week.
* The CHS basketball ladies made their first trip to the state
tournament in 28 years (finishing in the top 8).
* The CHS softball ladies finished in the top 8 at the
* The CHS band's winter guard had a 4th place state finish.
* The CHS track teams had several individuals in the top 10 at
* The CHS cheerleaders made it to the state tournament for the
first time in many years.
* The CHS academic team has had early success and their season
is still in progress.
* I've probably overlooked several more note worthy accomplishments
in my quick scan of 2013 ... but offer my congratulations to every CHS
(&JrHi) student athlete for their outstanding efforts this past
-- Ted Wright -- Dec. 29, 2013 (& Jan. 10th update)
You can also
click the calandar month logos above for the archived news index for
that month (as well as the individual stories).