All members present: Ostrander, Stout, Johnson, Oder, Sears
3. No requests to address board.
4. MInutes approved
Jeff B. Mills, Ph.D. (Executive
Director of the Oklahoma State School Boards Association) presented
the "Platnium Level" award to Collinsville school board
member Wendell Johnson. This is only the 4th time this award (the
highest state level OSSBA attainable) has been presented in Oklahoma.
Senator Rick Brinkley also had few words of praise for Mr. Johnson
who had family and friends at the meeting to wittness the award.
7. Twenty fundraisers were approved ... including two late additions
for Brian Phillips. Another was a golf fundraiser for Rusty Flanary
that has already been held.
8. Approved $40 for title paper work start on the 4 new buses ...
although the first payment is not due until Sept. 2013.
9. Approved contract for Career Tech funding support of local Vo-Ag
program (same as last year).
10. Approved Gifted & Talented Education Plan and committee.
11. Only three students have "dropped out" of Collinsville
High School in the past year was reported by CHS Principal Jon Coleman.
The loss of those 3 is regrettable but still lower than the state
average. Those are the only three not tracked to another school
or home schooling.
12. A 1986 vintage (non functional) welder was voted as surplus
to allow auction.
13-16. Executive session (completed at 8:40pm)
17. Accepted resignations of Williams & Pranger.
18) Approved Hiring of Kelly Whitely (replacing Williams as 1st
grade teacher) and Shirley Creekmore and Joan West (mother of Lance
West and a retired principal ... who will help with tutoring and
remediation at Herald).
19. Lance West reported on these topics:
* Teachers seem pleased with the new professional development schedule
which has the days spread more evenly throughout the year (with
Sept. 28th the most recent)
* Building upgrades have slowed at other campuses (after summer
activity flurry) with recent efforts focused on remodeling at the
new ESC building (former church across from the football field).
Some moves will begin in the next few weeks as phone switchovers
* 4 new busses here and in use
* Technology upgrades continue (for example wifi and laptop carts).
20. Terry Due reported on these topics:
* Death of CHS Teacher/Coach Brian Phillips (late Friday evening
---- Can't say enough good things about Brian
---- He never complained about his health issues (Cystic Fibrosis)
---- Not sure we can replace him ... a big time loss
---- Will likely cover some high school classes during the Thursday
funeral with elementary teacher as so many high school teachers
---- All saddened: admin/teachers/students/community
* State Softball Tournament Thursday (in OKC) -- Lady Cards -vs-
* Just missed State Volleyball Tournament with tie-breaker loss
in final points
* CCC Band at Bixby Contest: 1st in 5A & 3rd overall
* Junior High Volleyball: both 7th & 8th conference champs
* State School A-F report cards were delayed Monday ... not enough
credit for growth. Expect Band better for Collinsville schools.
* The school now owns the church (closing Friday) where ESC is moving
Announcements: District school board meet Thursday in Sand Springs.