Ceremonial Ground Breaking For Victory Cherokee Organization Community Center At Victory Cemetery (Already In Progress)
|Many burials took place in the cemetery (now known as the Victory Cemetery) long before there was a city called Collinsville or a state called Oklahoma. Burials and other activity had waned there after Collinsville's Ridgelawn Cemetery started (about 1900). The most recent known burial at Victory Cemetery was in 1976.|
Over the years several groups and individuals had tried to clean up and maintain the neglected and overgrown cemetery which was only accessable via a cow pasture with no road. In 2003 renewed interest, a road, and efforts by many organizations and hundreds of school children brought the Victory Cemetery back to a usable place to honor those buried there. The Cherokee Nation has provided grants and resources to ensure the site will maintained into the future. The local Victory Cherokee Organization formally began in 2004 and has met and had an office at the Trinity Faith Church on Main Street in Collinsville. The new VCO community center has been in the plannings stages for years with funding from the Cherokee Nation. The roadway (from 12th Street) will be expanded from 1 lane to 2 and a sewer line will be installed. The roadway had already been extended to the south end of the cemetery to reach the community center location. Adjoining neighbors have donated easements for the roadway and utilities.