This page sponsored
in part by:
(email questions/comments to email@example.com).
Ted Wright -- last update 8/8/2005 (SchBrdAug8.html)
Copyright 2005 --
August 8, 2005
Ron Evans Discussed
School Color Tradition
The Regularly Scheduled
School Board Meeting for Collinsville Public Schools, Independent District
Date: August 8, 2005 Monday
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Place: Education Service Center, 1119 West Broadway Collinsville, OK 74021
The following items will
appear on the agenda at the above scheduled meeting to wit:
NOTE: The Board of Education may discuss, vote to approve, vote to disapprove,
vote to table or decide not to vote on any item on this agenda.
1) Call to Order and Roll Call of Members.
2) Record of Members: (all present except Memory Ostrander)
3) Presentation by the Constituency. (none)
4) Reading of Minutes - July 11, 2005 Regular Meeting. (Approved)
5) Approval of Purchase Orders and Payment of Purchase Orders - FY2006 General,
Building, Child Nutrition, Building Bond Funds and FY2005 General, Building
Fund Reserves and All District Funds - Approval of Budgets, Reports, Allocations
and Investments. (Approved)
6) Grappler's Club Presentation. (Deferred)
7) Kindergarten Scheduling - Angela McKnight
(No board action followed a lengthy discussion of the
selection process for those chosen for the limited available spots for the
new all-day kindergarten program . Due to lack of classroom space at Wilson,
23 kindergarten students are currently on a waiting list for all-day sessions
and the two parents present at the board meeting challenged the fairness of
the criteria which was based heavily on a preference for morning -vs- afternoon
half day sessions make by parents before the
all-day program was announced in June.)
8) CHS Traditions - Ron Evans.
(No board action followed another lengthy discussion. Ron Evans presented
the case for a transition back to the "traditional" school colors
of red, black and white (Cardinal colors possibly as early as 1913 and for
sure by 1924) and away from Columbia blue which apparently started about 1958
for some sports uniforms. Ron also noted the tradition of students (as early
as the 7th grade in the mid-1950s) reciting the school creed and singing school
song daily. The school song includes the words "red and black forever".
Evans had signatures of many other supporting his request (including the Nifty
Fifties, CHS Old Timers and Collinville Education Foundation organizations
which donate approximately $20,000 per year to support the school in various
ways). Board member Ted Clark suggested the "tradition" was relative
depending on the color of uniform each individual wore during their own years
at CHS and that the blue was firmly entrenched in more folks since the 1958
change than before. Mr. Herald noted that the board couldn't have voted at
tonight session as it was not on the agenda for a vote.)
9) Discussion and Vote to Approve Activity Fund Fund-raisers. (none)
10) Bids & Purchases: (Approved)
--a) Transportation Insurance Bid for FY2006. (~$19K
State Farm ... w/ 2 new buses)
--b) Paper Bid for FY2006. ($21.65/case Tayloe Paper
11) Resignations: (Accepted)
--a) Carol Hart, Special Education..
--b) John Benham, MS Classroom Teacher
12) Vote to approve School District Accreditation and School Improvement status
report from State Department of Education (Approved
... met all criteria with no deficiencies)
13) Discussion and vote to approve Terry Due as Authorized Official and Certified
Authority for all local, state and federal funds. (Approved)
14) Proposed Executive Session to Discuss Negotiations for Certified and Support
Personnel, Pursuant to Section 307 (B)(2) and Hiring of Personnel, Pursuant
to Section 307 (B)(1) of the Open Meeting Law, O§, so that the Board
May Return to Open Session and Vote to Approve or Not Approve Working Agreements
for Certified and Support Personnel for FY2006 and Hiring of Personnel.
15) Vote to Convene in Executive Session. (~8:30 start)
16) Vote to Acknowledge Return of Board to Open Session. (~9:45
17) Executive Session Minutes Compliance Announcement. (no
action taken in executive session)
17) Discussion and Vote to Approve Working Agreement for FY2006 for Certified
Personnel. (Approved 4% raise to all certified personnel)
19) Discussion and Vote to Approve Working Agreement for bus drivers and part-time
support personnel for FY2006.(Approved)
20) Discussion and Vote to Hire Personnel: (approved
all but special ed ... I have most names but will hold off til I get correct
spellings and a bit more info at the new teacher intro next week -- Ted)
--a) Vocal Music Teacher.
--b) High School Math Teacher
--c) Special Education Teacher.
--d) Bus Driver.
--e) Bus Driver & Teacher's Aide.
--f) MS MR Teacher's Aide.
--h) MS Multi H Teacher's Aide.
--i) Wilson Special Ed. Teacher's Aide.
21) Assistant Superintendent's Report (Terry Due reported:
* Still hoping for "move in" this Friday (Aug. 12th) at both the
new middle school and high school buildings. Work will continue outside after
* A converted storage room is now the 7th and 8th grade locker room at the
high schhol for football. This allows all football player to dress at the
* The new lights in the band room made the need for new carpet apparent. The
outside of the bandroom will be painted later to more closely match the cream
color in the new building at the middle school.
* New carpet in 3 classrooms at Wilson and 1 at high school.
* Still investigating cause of cracks in some new ceramic tile at middle school
just discovered today.)
17) Superintendent's Report (Pat Herald reported the
lawsuit relating to a transportation situation about 17-18 months ago had
been dropped, but there was still a potential it could be reopened later).
* The school has been awarded a grant $91,272 in "Erate
Funds" (requiring matching funds) for telecommunications and internet
needs. They were notified of the grant award
by Eastern Oklahoma Erate Service on July 14th.. Larry Meece indicated this
grant will help in the efforts to get all of the school campuses linked via
a wide area network before the end of October. SBC is currently working to
provide the fiber connections to each of the campuses.
* Janice Pollard has been named one of the "Best
of TCC". Janice had also recently been named "Special Services Director
of the Year".
19) New Business:
* Wes Harding (with elementary and coaching experience)
was approved to start filling the vacancy left by John Benham.
* A digital copier lease for 36 months at $362.41 was approved for Early Childhood.
Agenda was posted this 3rd of August 2005 at 12:30 p.m. on the door of the
Education Service Center at 1119 West Broadway, Collinsville, OK 74021.
|This web site is brought to you by
Museum In Collinsville and the other advertisers appearing on these
pages. If you would like to provide content or advertisements ...
call Ted Wright (918) 371-1901 or send email to
Hired Several Personnel
Kindergarten Selection Criteria Challenged
grand entry archway for the new middle school gets closer to completion each
day with over a week left before the first day of classes. This photo was taken
Saturday and the workers were still at it Sunday (Aug. 7th).
(More middle school photos)