July 31, 2013
only agenda topic for the July 31, 2013 (5:30pm) work session was discussion
of the interior of the American Legion Building.
commissioners and the Mayor were present (Sink, Shafer, Weaver, York &
Francis). They met with architect Jim Graber (who also designed the recent
roof restoration of the veterans building ... and the city hall restoration).
Graber provded a simple floor plan drawing with only minor changes from
the former layout to start the discussion. No action was taken but commissioners
discussed many potential options and anticipate a revised drawing later
as well as rough cost estimates for future discussion. There is some funding
available from the insurance payout on the burned out 4-H/Senior Citizens
Building (also on the fair grounds) but not near enough for all the features
* redo electrical & plumbing
* portable/removable -vs- fixed stage
* wider door(s) for bringing in equipment / display material
* serving -vs- cooking kitchen (a real cost driver if a stove is included
... which requires venting and fire supression)
* proper memorial(s)/displays for veterans to preserve the building's
* clean and seal exterior brick
* replace floor tile -vs- grind and seal concrete floor
* replace windows
* sheetrock with Wainscoat
* air conditioning / heating
* the new ceiling trusses are vaulted allowing higher ceiling in the open
meeting area (higher than the previous drop ceiling)
* rest rooms, dressing rooms, storage rooms
* consider outdoor cooking / dining area(s) with awning/grills ...etc.
on either east or west side of building ... and possible new door near
kitchen if on west side.
Wright comments in purple.
Topic Work Session Discussed Potential Rennovations
To American Legion Building Downtown