This page sponsored
in part by:
It is the mission of Verdigris Valley Electric Cooperative to provide
adequate, abundant, central station electric service to all members
located in the Cooperatives service area at the lowest possible
cost consistent with sound business principles. In addition, VVEC
will promote the safe and economical use of electricity among the
membership and will participate in community and other activities
which are in the interest of the membership and the general public.
(email questions/comments to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Ted Wright -- last update 5/24/2005 (CHSMemorial.html)
Copyright 2005 -- Collinsville, Oklahoma
of Central High School 1912-1971
CHS Alumni Memorial Proposed
May 20, 2005
|This web site is brought to you by
Museum In Collinsville and the other advertisers appearing on these
pages. If you would like to provide content or advertisements ...
call Ted Wright (918) 371-1901 or send email to
of 1969 Had Only Seniors in Both Old & New High Schools
Ron Evans (CHS 1955, representing
the Nifty Fifties organization) went before the Collinsville School Board
on May 9, 2005 to present the drawing at left prepared by Danny Pavey (CHS
1965). The drawing shows a presentation with a base (for seating and a plaque)
that would hold a portion of one of the original columns from the Central
High School built in 1912 and torn down in 1971. That high school building
housed school students (7th-12th grade) until the spring of 1969 when high
school students moved to the current high school west of town. The building
was then used briefly as part of the middle school until it's demolition in
the summer of 1971.
The school board approved
the proposed memorial and appointed a committee of Terry Due, Kelly Hamlin
and Ron Evans to determine the location for the memorial on the middle school
campus. Bricks from the soon to be demolished Central Grade School (now the
Middle School Annex) will be used in the memorial's base. That building was
constructed in 1933 with bricks from a school built in 1912 on Smelter Hill.
P.J. Duffy was the builder of the first Collinsville High School in 1909.
When that school burned in January of 1912, Duffy then constructed the high
school that stood in the same location for almost 60 years. Duffy also built
Washington Elementary (North Ward) and the Smelter Hill school (South Ward)
in 1912. Duffy built Collinsville's City Hall and many other Main Street buildings.
-- Ted Wright (CHS 1969)
Piece of the Old High School To Be Returned Somewhere On The Current Middle
Thomas (CHS 1950) presents a check for $100 to Ron Evans (CHS 1955) from the
Collinsville Education Foundation to help with expenses for the memorial.
column remnant is currently overgrown with brush, but hopefully will soon be
prominently displayed back on it's old CHS campus.
H. Wilson, Superintendent of Collinsville Schools for many years, is shown on
the front steps of the old Central High School in this undated photo (with the
columns in place). This location would be about where the band room is now on
the middle school campus.